Get Relief for Your Varicose Veins!
Dr. Murray has extensive experience in the treatment of both varicose and spider veins. Treatment options vary depending on the type and extent of your vein disease. To determine the best treatment option for you a consultation will be conducted with Dr. Murray.
Varicose veins result from defective or diseased valves in the legs. When valves are damaged and don’t close properly, blood accumulates in the veins forcing the vein walls to bulge, producing varicose veins.
Symptoms include: swelling, itching, fatigue, tenderness, pain, skin discoloration, and leg heaviness.
Why Treat Varicose Veins?
Treating varicose veins will keep your legs in better health, once treated blood flows through other healthy veins in the leg. Treatment can prevent prolonged swelling in the legs, open sores or ulcers, infection, phlebitis (inflammation of the vein) and thrombosis (blood clots).
Treatment options vary depending on the type and extent of your vein disease. To determine the best treatment option for you a consultation will be conducted with Dr. Murray.
- Compression Stockings – Can be used for relief of symptoms and minor pain, however compression stockings can not treat varicose veins.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy – Variation of surgical stripping in which multiple incisions are made to remove the vein in segments. Despite the greater number of incisions, the recovery period is shorter as less damage is done to the leg.
- Endovenous Laser Ablation – This procedure uses a thin laser fiber inserted into the vein to apply heat energy and close the vein. Performed in the office in less than an hour and has virtually no recovery period.
Typical Laser Treatment Includes:
- Ultrasound of the vein
- Application of local anesthetic
- Insertion of a laser fiber through a small access point
- Delivery of laser energy to close the vein
- Removal of the laser fiber and closure with bandage
- Wrapping of the leg for 24 hours
Immediate walking is encouraged to promote healing. Pain is minimal but can be treated with over-the-counter pain relievers.
Benefits of Laser Treatment
- Performed in physician’s office
- Takes less than an hour
- No general anesthesia required
- Little to no pain or bruising
- No recovery period – immediate return to daily activities
Spider veins are dilated superficial blood vessels which are similar to varicose veins but are closer to the skin. Spider veins are caused by increased pressure in the veins and are common as you age or if you stand for long periods of time. Symptoms may include swelling, tiredness, and/or heaviness in the legs.
Treatment of Spider Veins
Sclerotherapy – Sclerotherapy is the most common treatment for spider veins which involves injecting a solution into the vein that forces it to collapse and stops the blood flow. The vein will turn into a scar that will fade after a few weeks.